What is ASMR and why are kids so fascinated?
Autonomous sensory meridian response, or ASMR, is a feeling of well-being or a tingling sensation that someone gets from engaging with very gentle stimuli, for example, listening to people whispering or eating (which for many people can drive them to a state of total insanity rather than peaceful bliss).
It’s been around for a long time, but in recent years / months has become more popular with kids. We think there are various reasons for this:
- ASMR videos are largely found on YouTube or TikTok which many kids engage with on a daily basis. Kids are very attuned with things that are becoming more popular and will seek out any trending videos
- There is so much variety and breadth of choice within the ASMR genre and having LOTS to choose from is something that drives affinity for kids. For them, the more the better!
- It doesn’t take much skill to be able to create your own ASMR video and the endless video possibilities means kids can put their creative skills to the test but in a really accessible way!
- ASMR videos have naturally soothing qualities, this is not only attractive to kids at certain times of the day (e.g. before bed) but can also be used by parents as a wind down tool
- The sensations kids can feel from ASMR actually mimics many of the feelings they can get as newborns when being comforted by parents (e.g. when parents speak to them very softly). For older kids this can bring back nostalgic memories and a sense of comfort and security
Our kids may be out there getting warm fuzzy feelings from ASMR videos but there are a few watch outs for parents to keep in mind to make sure it continues to be a safe past-time for kids to enjoy. ASMR videos can also be used as a form of therapy by occupational therapists to target sensory system imbalances. If your child is particularly reliant on ASMR videos throughout many points of the day to help them calm down or to feel a sense of peace/satisfaction then it’s probably worth mentioning to your GP as there could be a more serious underlying issue. Also, continue to be mindful of the kinds of ASMR videos kids are watching - not everything out there will be kid friendly and we don’t want kids stumbling onto an X-rated adult ASMR film...